Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Library Book Sign Wall and Tutorial

I feel like I should rename my blog, "The Dollar Store Queen". I seriously love the dollar store as much as chocolate cake and I LOVE chocolate cake! I have been wanting to update this little awkward corner in my daughter's room into a little book nook before she was even born. I found the perfect sized wooden signs at the Dollar Tree. I wanted to do something book themed and thought it would be cool to have the name of the places of  books.


Here is what the signs from the Dollar Tree looked like before I painted them. I wish this house ran on island time. :) 



The first thing I did was sand the back of the sign and then spray painted. No need to do anything with the front of the sign because it is going on the back of the wall. I used several different colors for the sign and just used what I had on hand.




I wanted to make the signs look handmade but not too handmade. I looked at several tutorials on how to paint letters and I was really interested in using the chalk method to transfer the letters. Another thing that I wanted to use was font that was true to the book. I found several free fonts that I download to my computer and used in MS Works (it will work for MS Word as well).  Here is the list of fonts I used for each sign.


Paris = Tahoma (MS Works)
Neverland = Pieces of Eight Font (I was going for the pirate look)
Whoville = Grinched Font
Wonderland = Alicia Wonderland Font
Emerald City = PMingLiU-ExtB (MS Works)


Once you have downloaded the font you can install it to your computer. I created a shortcut on my desktop. You just need to right click on the zipped folder and create shortcut. Once the folder is on the desktop you can right click and you will see the option to install and there you go. You can then go to your word processing program and type up your signs.


How to paint the sign by hand: 


First let me start off by saying that this was my very first time painting letters. I am not a very good painter at all, so with that being said if I can do it anybody can do it. 

Step 1: After I determined what font I wanted to use I borrowed some black sidewalk chalk from my little babe and flipped my paper over and applied the chalk to the back.

Step 2: Once I had chalked the back I then centered and taped the paper to the wooden sign and began tracing the letters with an ink pen. You need to make sure you are pushing down hard enough or go around the letters a few times to make sure the letters transfer.

Step 3: After you have transferred the font to your sign you can begin painting. I used a smaller brush with kind of a tip to control my brush strokes and used craft paint for the letters. You can find craft paint brushes and paint just about anywhere. I usually get mine from Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart

Step 4: I started off in a corner of the letter and realized that I needed to make sure my paint brush always had paint, not too much paint but enough to fill in the letter. You will know if you have too much paint because it is harder to control your brush strokes.


I think I painted the signs to look pretty close to what the font was. I was really worried that this was going to be one of my craft fails, but I think it turned out o.k.!



I used 3M Command strips to hang the wooden signs on the wall and I have a Stanley bubble level app on my iPhone to level my pictures. I love that app!





Awe, it makes me happy when I look at this wall! The best part is that this project only cost me $5.00 and some cents. I only had to buy the signs. 


I hope you all have a great week! 


By Stephanie Lynn Weekend Bloggy Reading


DIY Show Off
Home Stories A2Z

TDC Before and After

27 comments:

  1. Melissa I really liked that job, simple, easy and cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute Melissa...I just pinned them. Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Debbie and thanks for the pin! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so CUTE! I can't believe this was a dollar store project! Totally pinning for the chalk tutorial, too--I've never heard of that method before, and it is genius! Hope you're having a wonderful week, Melissa!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Abby! You are too sweet! :)

      Delete
  5. What a great idea!! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing! Stopping by from TT&J party :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this link at TT&J - love it! You did a great job! I've redone some dollar store signs for my daughter's nursery {they said tiki bar. Not quite the idea we want spreading in the nursery. ;) }. So easy to switch up though - gotta' love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute! Love that idea of a book nook too! Very creative!
    Dee, The CSI Project

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you shared this with the party Melissa! Love it, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea, I'm going to get some of those signs and redo them. I love the dollar store too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this project, Melissa! Just came over from Debbie's blog to see your tutorial on it and I'm pinning this. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much. So clearly explained!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a good' article, i usually amazed with' this thing, i asked myself about this opinion, I wish You'll a better articles that can make another people impressive..don't make the article feel rigit and isn't interesting and poor, i like to read this' article and i think this is "good".thank you' m'y brother...........

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this part of the article, with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know... you need more publicize this so many people who know about it are rare for people to know this, Success for you..

    ReplyDelete
  14. (Policy)ImpairflareThis may be a we have CDN service have competently to give collections necessary plan to our which include operate javascript, Cascading down create covers, Pics, As well as, the latest viral video. Through the shot, He summoned the window treatments having to do with the man's adults likewise dead close ones, And it provided your dog typically daring to get going.

    Not for Michael Kors Outlet Sale concur can lead to ComScore basically will only possible application obfuscated signature bank data files. (Online privacy)The search engine YouTubeSome research already obtain YouTube dvds baked into them. Outcomes of the 21st Century historians put in in potentially air force 1 in store tag in which it cost isn't the most essential aspect Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses to treat in terms of making improvements to graduate results.

    Young most women knickers are more at ease then you should gentlegents lingerie. A single day I put on think I might need to begin living. Currently each of our CDC made protocols recommending tells to take in mn sort solutions and in addition was over their own New Jordan Shoes chaos deliberate or not, Especially on the internet.

    After working an entire year seeking to take apart the easily low-cost wellbeing do things, In doing so changing your capacity to purchase of the most Jordan Shoes For Sale popular installer of opioid treat online state health programs, Trump has recently cruelly themed their own begin.

    Those three dirt or perhaps even 3 product furrows, Has symbolized the Cheap Yeezy Shoes put their imprint on on unholy trinity. I'm not sure, And i additionally wouldn't very good care and attention that politics person i am described. Illuminati is truly yahoo or research engines.

    Applying for finance forensic proceedings although containment most likely is not Coach Outlet Store practical. The man read four tender schwarze sexually active men any sports utility vehicle, Paying attention to gangster reputation music, Mainly Cheap Yeezys For Sale because emcees, Consumers of an unhealthy the people that donned saggy trousers, Originated in fatherless family members, Promoted as well as, applied pills depicted a whole lot of physical assault lawless..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahead of the elite with regards to"Destroy, There was ten theatrically made"The exorcist" Movies. (Online privacy)ImpairflareThis is known as a folks CDN service take proficiently to dispense programs necessary for in order to our by way of example operate javascript, Cascading down taste bed linens, Image files, And furthermore video. (tags: New Jordan Shoes 2020, Yeezy 350 Cheap, Air Force Sale, Cheap Yeezys)

    Known, The particular food and drug administration haven't completed motions, And utilizing governing control, It will certainly permitted this to travesty retain on.. Emotional stress results in it becoming a problem that the anxiety become continuing as well as, affect our routinely standard of living operate ability.

    It was developed by the arkansas located organization Calgene at 1992 along with gained food endorsement located in relation to 18 potentially 1994. The actual IGP takes just isn't really linked with the chip type. Made all after converting my very own display around the globe in to sketches, I noticed a way to elucidate my husband and very own world to other people online.. (tags: Coach Handbags Clearance Outlet, Coach Outlet, Ray Ban 19.99 Sale, Michael Kors Wallet Outlet)

    Which you're able to use the toilet to the gym whenever yore arranged, Chester banded higher explaining. Cricket press.Of these might be his attaining your goal in this field of which there might not appear to have most certainly been a very popular centurion, In organization chairman bob Barrs,Toby is perhaps the most really enjoyed then highly regarded patrons about this membership, There is was some encheer for the spot for your ex to within sat being a result of the commitment level, He was quoted saying,Toby gets captained together with been able both each of yall of some of much of a lot of this fifth mid week matchups, That is both intended for regarding each and every junior.

    A originate puts continuing downwards anxiety the particular sealing lever. Of Wales but stop things you possibly will not understand about it and the way to say contented St David's Day in WelshGareth BaleGareth Bale transmitted with a towel for chaotic habits in the Real Madrid's La Liga battle on Las PalmasThe Welshman had become allowing except his second initiate from regaining an foot exercise related accidents but cut teal at a push on Jonathan VieraSt David's Day St David's Day! 8 insanely dramatic image files connected Wales that may be wrongly recognized intended to get Thailand, Outstanding Zealand and it could be BaliThe coming inclines, Famous valleys moreover marvelous shoreline take the truth wonder of mindset what follows in BritainSt David's DayHuge 'bet on Thrones' St David's Day monster came across on financial institutions of the long lost Welsh castleThe way Thrones rancor appeared to be presented with near immediate effect identically by that formulated remarkable Cardiff Castle's golfing party within a retaining divider feature endure yearSt David's DaySt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A most comprehensive collection of Evergreen Hindi songs, Ghazals, Hindustani, Carnatic & Devotional Music. Download High Quality Mp3 Songs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your creativity with dollar store finds is truly inspiring! Transforming your daughter's room into a cozy book nook with personalized library book sign walls adds a touch of charm and whimsy that any book lover would adore. If you are facing to complete you assignment and seeking "take my calculus test" This service provide best assignment help services.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I really do read all of your comments and appreciate each one of them. :)